Day 4 Blog: Sushi - Sayer Charnquist

Today started out quite calm, with most of us simply working on our assignments. The reason why there was such a large break was due to the fact that the chefs were making the sushi rice. After this big break which lasted about an hour and a half. We all gathered around to cut some veggies. The old Art of Cooking special, veggie cutting. I'm just kidding, we did cut the veggies though, that wasn't the joke. We cut cucumbers and avocado, luckily no one was heretical enough to not deseed their cucumbers. The avocados were easy enough, we also cut some cream cheese during this sitting.

After this we were handed the fish, the fish were, well, fish. We cut them like you would cut fish. Or well that's not true, we cut them into strips similar to the cream cheese. There was also the sashimi cut bits of fish which were only used for nigiri. Once that was done we transitioned into learning how to roll sushi, I had learned this 2 times at this point, so forgive me for not paying full attention to it. Really though we learned how to utilize the wooden mats to roll the sushi and how to properly cut it.

The sushi creation took longer than the consumption, but not very long. Some pieces were wonderfully complex, some were more simple. Mine was crab, cream cheese, salmon roe, avocado, and spicy mayo. The way that I spiced it up was by laying bits of the sashimi on top of the roll itself to make it into a pseudo rainbow roll. This was really good, though the size difference between the white fish and the salmon that I used was pretty extreme, I probably should have used salmon. After this we all consumed our sushi rapidly, and began to clean. Except for me, I'm writing this blog, or at least I was, before I finished this sentence.

Comments